Bremer and Denmark Sub-Basins bathymetry grids compilation
Authors / CoAuthors
<p>This is a recent compilation of all the processed multibeam bathymetric data that Geoscience Australia holds in its database for the Bremer and Denmark Sub-Basins. The location of the sub-basin lies in deep water off the southwest margin of WA between Broke and Esperance in Southern Western Australia.
<p>This dataset is published with the permission of the CEO, Geoscience Australia.
<p>Not to be used for navigational purposes.
Australian Government Security ClassificationSystem
Classification - unclassified
Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence
Access - license
Use - license
Data Quality LINEAGE
The data was acquired and processed onboard and further processing was conducted in the office by Michele Spinoccia, using CARIS HIPS & SIPS ver 9.1.10 as following:
# Survey Name Vessel Name Multibeam System/Nominal Freq Institution Start Date End Date Start Port End Port
1 GA-0157_Adedav N/O Latalante EM120D (12 kHz) EM950 (95kHz) GA/IFREMER 3/04/1994 15/04/1994 Adelaide SW Timor
2 GA-0208_Margau (MD110) RV Marion Dufresne TSM 5256 (12 kHz) GA/IPEV 29/04/1998 29/05/1998 Fremantle Fremantle
3 GA-0236_Auscan1 (MD130) RV Marion Dufresne TSM 5256 (12 kHz) GA/IPEV 23/01/2003 16/02/2003 Fremantle Hobart
4 GA-0245_Auscan2 (MD131) RV Marion Dufresne TSM 5256 (12 kHz) GA/IPEV 18/02/2003 4/03/2003 Hobart Fremantle
5 GA-0265_Bremer (SS03/2004) RV Southern Surveyor EM300 (30 kHz) CSIRO 9/02/2004 9/03/2004 Fremantle Hobart
6 GA-0296_WA Bio1(SS07/2005) RV Southern Surveyor EM300 (30 kHz) CSIRO 21/07/2005 15/08/2005 Dampier Fremantle
7 GA-1153_SIO (WEST08MV) RV Melville SeaBeam 2000 (12 kHz) SIO 05/10/1994 13/11/1994 Dunedin,NZ Fremantle
8 GA-1175_SIO (SOJN05MV) RV Melville SeaBeam 2000 (12 kHz) SIO 19/02/1997 02/03/1997 Fremantle Hobart
9 GA-2390 WA Bio2 (SS10/2005) RV Southern Surveyor EM300 (30 kHz) CSIRO 17/11/2005 14/12/2005 Fremantle Dampier
10 GA-2396_Ausfair Transit (VT82) RV Marion Dufresne TSM 5256 (12 kHz) GA/IPEV 27/02/2006 6/03/2006 Sydney Albany
11 GA-2400_Leuwin (SS04/2006) RV Southern Surveyor EM300 (30 kHz) CSIRO 9/04/2006 30/04/2006 Esperance Fremantle
12 GA-2433_Hobart_Fremantle(SST03/2007) RV Southern Surveyor EM300 (30 kHz) CSIRO 30/04/2007 9/05/2007 Hobart Fremantle
13 GA-4304_Hobart_Broome Transit(SST01/2010) RV Southern Surveyor EM300 (30 kHz) CSIRO 29/03/2010 13/04/2010 Hobart Broome
14 GA-4324_Fremantle-HobartTransit(SST02/2010) RVSouthern Surveyor EM300 (30 kHz) CSIRO 10/08/2010 18/08/2010 Fremantle Hobart
15 GA-4368_NextWaveTrans (SS2011t03) RV Southern Surveyor EM300 (30 kHz) CSIRO 12/08/2011 22/08/2011 Hobart Fremantle
16 GA-4371_FreoHobartTrans (SS2011t04) RV Southern Surveyor EM300 (30 kHz) CSIRO 10/11/2011 20/11/2011 Fremantle Hobart
17 GA-4393_HobartFreoTrans (ss2012t05 RV Southern Surveyor EM300 (30 kHz) CSIRO 12/08/2011 22/08/2011 Hobart Fremantle
18 GA-4411_GAB (ss2013t02) RV Southern Surveyor EM300 (30 kHz) UWS 17/06/2013 28/06/2013 Hobart Fremantle
19 GA-4454_SingHobart (in2014e01) RV Investigator EM122/710 (12/40-100 kHz) CSIRO 28/08/2014 09/09/2014 Singapore Hobart
20 GA-4490_GABbenthic (in2015C02) RV Investigator EM122/710 (12/40-100 kHz) CSIRO 30/11/2015 22/12/2015 Port Lincoln Fremantle
21 GA-4473_HeardIsland (in2016v01) RV Investigator EM122/710 (12/40-100 kHz) CSIRO 08/01/2016 26/02/2016 Fremantle Hobart
22 GA-4812_FreoHobart (in2017t02) RV Investigator EM122/710 (12/40-100 kHz) CSIRO 08/01/2016 26/02/2016 Fremantle Hobart
23 GA-4846_HobartFreo (in2019t03) RV Investigator EM122/710 (12/40-100 kHz) Macquarie Uni. 29/04/2019 09/05/2019 Hobart Fremantle
1. First a vessel configuration file was created where the co-ordinates of the motion sensor and DGPS antenna and patch test offsets were recorded.
2. A new project was then created and the vessel configuration file was attached to the project file.
3. The raw swath sonar data, in raw.all format, for each line was then imported into the project and the vessel information assigned to the data.
4. The motion sensor, DGPS and heading data were then cleaned using a filter that averaged adjacent data to remove artefacts.
5. Different sound velocity profiles data for each block were attached to the corresponding raw swath sonar data files to correct the depths for changes in the speed of sound through the water column.
6. Then a new blank field area was defined that specified the geographic area of study and the co-ordinate system used. The co-ordinates for the study areas were WGS84 UTM-50S.
7. The data was cleaned by applying several filters that removed any remaining spikes in the bathymetry data using user defined threshold values. A visual inspection of the data for each line was then undertaken where artefacts and noisy data not removed by the filtering process were removed manually using Swath and subset editors modules of the Caris HIPS/SIPS software.
8. All the data for each bathymetric, motion sensor, DGPS, heading, tide and sound velocity profile data were merged to produce the final processed data file. A weighted grid of the processed data was then created for each Block.
In GA the tide was applied to the grid to correct for tidal variations and velocity corrections were performed to correct for different artefacts and mismatches.
9. The processed data was finally exported as grids soundings or false coloured images for presentation and reporting and as final processed data in in ASCII XYZ, ESRI ASCII, ESRI Raster (Geotif), CARIS CSAR, PNG Imagery and KMZ formats at 20,50 and 100m resolution.
20, 50 and 100 m
Downloads and Links
Ascii xyz data [716 MB]
Caris Csar data [478 MB]
ESRI ascii data [340 MB]
ESRI raster data [454 MB]
Imagery [11 MB]
KMZ data [13 MB]
Metadata [48 MB]
Bremer Denmark Sub-basins Bathymetry 2019 100m (tif) [19.23 MB]