Perth Canyon Marine Park Bathymetry - 40m Resolution Grid
Authors / CoAuthors
<p>Australia has established a network of 58 marine parks within Commonwealth waters covering a total of 3.3 million square kilometres, or 40 per cent of our exclusive economic zone (excluding Australian Antarctic Territory). These parks span a range of settings, from near coastal and shelf habitats to abyssal plains. Parks Australia manages the park network through management plans that came into effect for all parks on 1 July 2018. Geoscience Australia is contributing to their management by collating and interpreting existing environmental data, and through the collection of new marine data. “Eco-narrative” documents are being developed for those parks, where sufficient information is available, delivering collations and interpretations of seafloor geomorphology, oceanography and ecology. Many of these interpretations rely on bathymetric grids and their derived products, including those in this data release. <p>Bathymetry grids <p>The bathymetry of the marine parks was created by compiling and processing Geoscience Australia’s bathymetry data holding gridded at the optimum resolution depending of the vessel’s sonar system. <p>The bathymetry of the park is illustrated by a panchromatic geotiff image, developed by combining the bathymetric data with a hillshade image. <p> Morphological Surfaces <p>Geoscience Australia has developed a new marine seafloor classification scheme, which uses the two-part seafloor mapping morphology approach of Dove et al (2016). This new scheme is semi-hierarchical and the first step divides the slope of the seafloor into three Morphological Surface categories (Plain, <2°; Slope, 2-10°; Escarpment, >10°). <p>Dove, D., Bradwell, T., Carter, G., Cotterill, C., Gafeira, J., Green, S., Krabbendam, M., Mellet, C., Stevenson, A., Stewart, H., Westhead, K., Scott, G., Guinan, J., Judge, M. Monteys, X., Elvenes, S., Baeten, N., Dolan, M., Thorsnes, T., Bjarnadóttir, L., Ottesen, D. (2016). Seabed geomorphology: a twopart classification system. British Geological Survey, Open Report OR/16/001. 13 pages. <p>This research is supported by the National Environmental Science Program (NESP) Marine Biodiversity Hub through Project D1.<p><p>This dataset is not to be used for navigational purposes.
Australian Government Security ClassificationSystem
Classification - unclassified
Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence
Access - license
Use - license
Not to be used for navigational purposes.
This dataset is published with the permission of the CEO, Geoscience Australia
The Perth canyon Marine Park Bathymetry dataset was created by compiling GA's bathymetry data holding.
The bathymetry consist of the following surveys:
# Survey Name Vessel Multbeam system Institution
1- GA-0157_Adedav N/O_L'Atlante EM12 Dual IFREMER
2- GA-0208_Margau RV_Marion Dufresne TSM5265 IPEV
3- GA-0265_Bremer_Basin_SS03/2004 RV_Southern_Surveyor EM300 CSIRO
4- GA-0293_Mentelle_Basin_SS08/2005 RV_Southern_Surveyor EM300 CSIRO
5- GA-0296_WA_Bio1_SS07/2005 RV_Southern_Surveyor EM300 CSIRO
6- GA-0334_Vlaming_SubBasin MV_Southern_Supporter Reson SeaBat 7101 Fugro
7- GA-1166_WEST09MV RV_Melville SeaBeam 2000 SIO
8- GA-1175_SOJN05MV RV_Melville SeaBeam 2000 SIO
9- GA-1179_Perth_Canyon_KN145L4 RV_Knorr Seabeam 2112 WHOI
10- GA-1274_WEST10MV RV_Melville SeaBeam 2000 SIO
11- GA-1431_SOJN04MV RV_Melville SeaBeam 2000 SIO
12- GA-2305_EW0114 RV_Maurice_Ewing Atlas hydrosweep DS LDEO
13- GA-2309_MR03K04Leg6 RV_Mirai SeaBeam 2112 JAMSTEC
14- GA-2352_Rottnest_island HMAS_Cook SeaBeam 2100 AHO
15- GA-2354_Em300_Trials RV_Southern_Surveyor EM300 CSIRO
16- GA-2367_EW0112 RV_Maurice_Ewing Atlas hydrosweep DS LDEO
17- GA-2383_Nat_Rocks_SS09/2005 RV_Southern_Surveyor EM300 CSIRO
18- GA-2390_WABio_leg2_SS10/2005 RV_Southern_Surveyor EM300 CSIRO
19- GA-2400_Recherche_SS04/2006 RV_Southern_Surveyor EM300 CSIRO
20- GA-2406_GeraldtonEddy_SS05/2006 RV_Southern_Surveyor EM300 CSIRO
21- GA-2433_HobFreoTransit_SST03-2007 RV_Southern_Surveyor EM300 CSIRO
22- GA-2434_WAPelagic_SS04/2007 RV_Southern_Surveyor EM300 CSIRO
23- GA-2468_TIP2000_MD119 RV_Marion Dufresne TSM5265 IPEV
24- GA-2476_WA MarginsLeg1-3 RV_Sonne EM120 IFMGEO
25- GA-2493_DunedinAntarFreo_KNOX03RR RV_ Roger_Revelle EM120 SIO
26 GA-4304_HobarttoBroome_SST01/2010 RV_Southern_Surveyor EM300 CSIRO
27- GA-4313_NingalooAutumnDynamics_SS04/2010 RV_Southern_Surveyor EM300 CSIRO
28- GA-4318_WARockLobster_SS05/2010 RV_Southern_Surveyor EM300 CSIRO
29- GA-4324_GABTransit_SST02/2010 RV_Southern_Surveyor EM300 CSIRO
30- GA-4325_WAShelfProcesses_SS06/2010 RV_Southern_Surveyor EM300 CSIRO
31- GA-4368_nextWaveTransit_SS2011_t03 RV_Southern_Surveyor EM300 CSIRO
32- GA-4369_PerthAbyssalPlain_SS2011_v06 RV_Southern_Surveyor EM300 CSIRO
33- GA-4371_FreoHobartTransit_SS2011_t04 RV_Southern_Surveyor EM300 CSIRO
34- GA-4393_HobartFreoTransit_SS2012_t05 RV_Southern_Surveyor EM300 CSIRO
35- GA-4411_GAB_SS2013_t02 RV_Southern_Surveyor EM300 CSIRO
36- GA-4421_MH370Search_Equator MV_Fugro_Equator EM302 ATSB
37- GA-4430_MH370Search_Supporter MV_Fugro_Supporter EM122 ATSB
38- GA-4441_perth_Canyon_FK150301 RV_Falkor EM302/EM710 UWA/Schmidt Ocean Inst.
39- GA-4454_IN2014_E01 RV_Investigator EM710 CSIRO
40- GA-4473_IN2016_v01 RV_Investigator EM710/EM122 CSIRO
41- GA-4480_FreoAntarcticaFreo_CLIVAR108S_RR1603 RV_ Roger_Revelle EM122 SIO
42- GA-4481_GlobalrepeatHydrology_RR1604 RV_ Roger_Revelle EM122 SIO
43- GA-4490_GABbenthic_IN2015_C02 RV_Investigator EM710 CSIRO
44- GA-4807_DarwinFreo_SO257 RV_Sonne EM122 IFMGEO
45- GA-4811_TrawledCommunities_IN2017_T02 RV_Investigator EM122 CSIRO
46- GA-4812_FremantleHobart_IN2017_T02 RV_Investigator EM710 CSIRO
47- GA-5007_TwoRocksToCapeNaturaliste Cesna LIDAR/XYZ WADOT
The dataset was processed in the Geoscience Australia by Michele Spinoccia, using CARIS HIPS & SIPS ver 7.1.2.
- Grid resolution: 40 m
- Number of grids: 1
- Total surface coverage: 13,669.86 km2
- Vertical Datum: MSL
- Horizontal Datum: WGS84 UTM-50S
- Use Limitation: This dataset is not to be used for navigational purposes.
- This dataset is published with the permission of the CEO, Geoscience Australia
1. First a vessel configuration file was created where the co-ordinates of the motion sensor and DGPS antenna and patch test offsets were recorded.
2. A new project was then created and the vessel configuration file was attached to the project file.
3. The raw swath sonar data, in raw.all format, for each line was then imported into the project and the vessel information assigned to the data.
4. The motion sensor, DGPS and heading data were then cleaned using a filter that averaged adjacent data to remove artifacts.
5. Different sound velocity profiles data for each block were attached to the corresponding raw swath sonar data files to correct the depths for changes in the speed of sound through the water column.
6. Then a new blank field area was defined that specified the geographic area of study and the co-ordinate system used. The co-ordinates for the study areas were WGS84 UTM-50S.
7. The data was cleaned by applying several filters that removed any remaining spikes in the bathymetry data using user defined threshold values. A visual inspection of the data for each line was then undertaken where artifacts and noisy data not removed by the filtering process were removed manually using Swath and subset editors modules of the Caris HIPS/SIPS software.
8. All the data for each bathymetric, motion sensor, DGPS, heading, tide and sound velocity profile data were merged to produce the final processed data file. A weighted grid of the processed data was then created for each Block.
In GA the tide was applied to the grid to correct for tidal variations and velocity corrections were performed to correct for different artifacts and mismatches.
9. The processed data was finally exported as grids soundings or false colored images for presentation and reporting and as final processed data in in ASCII XYZ as well as geotif formats at the optimum resolution the data can provide.
10.Using CARIS Base editor 4.1 the grids were exported as ESRI ASCII grid, then imported into ARC catalogue/info to create a raster file for the entire survey.
Downloads and Links
Download the data package
Perth Canyon Marine Park Bathymetry 2018 40m (tif) [36.73 MB]